History

 


fpcMarrero

fpcMarrero

A Brief History of the Church
First Pentecostal Church
of the Westbank found its beginnings in the home of Brother and Sister Howard Lambert of Belle Chasse in 1958. Reverend John R. Cupit of New Orleans came to pioneer this work and eventually purchased a lot on Claire Avenue in Gretna on which to construct a church building. Aided by the men from the First Pentecostal Church of New Orleans and the men of this assembly, Rev. Cupit built the First Pentecostal Church of Gretna and this church building was dedicated in the latter part of 1959. Rev. Cupit became the pastor of this assembly for approximately five years, followed by Reverend George Rowell who pastored the church for a period of three years.

 



On Easter Sunday of 1967, Rev. F.L. Sartin was elected pastor of the church. In 1978, Pastor Sartin purchased nineteen acres of land on Ames Boulevard in Marrero. Here he constructed a new church building and school which were completed in 1979. The church building and school were dedicated in May of 1981. At the time of the dedication the mortgage on the new church was burned, everything was debt free. In 1986, Rev. M.K. Sartin was elected pastor and continues to serve in this role.